SICCI’s journey begins in 1924, when a small, dedicated group of Indian businessmen came together to form an association to better protect, advance and unify the interests of the Indian business community. First known as the Indian Merchants Association (IMA), the organisation played a pivotal role in serving as a rallying point for Indian businesses in Singapore.
On 26 August 1935, under the presidency of Mr. R Jumabhoy J P, the IMA was renamed as the Indian Chamber of Commerce (ICC). A further two years later, in 1937, the ICC incorporated as company in under the Companies Ordinance.
In 1971, in order to better reflect the evolving nature of its work and role in the community, the ICC was renamed the Singapore Indian Chamber of Commerce (SICC).
In 1991, the Chamber underwent a further, final name change, into the Singapore Indian Chamber of Commerce & Industry (SICCI).
SICCI continues on its journey of aiding its members and partners in achieving new heights of business excellence.